UANL is ranked 77 out of 516 universities in the world, according to the GreenMetric World University Ranking.
UANL is considered as the second most sustainable academic institution in México according to GreenMetric.
For the 5th consecutive year the Maximum Academic Institution of Nuevo Leon has been placed among the 80 greener public and private institutions, along with Universities as Oxford, Bradford and Nottingham.
In 2016 the world ranking place the UANL on 77 out of 516 universities of all 74 countries around the world.
Sergio Fernandez Delgadillo, Vice President of Research, Innovation, and Sustainability, said “We are now considered a role model nationally, we have been invited to different private universities to give talks about our ways of doing things.”
Some different aspects are being evaluated for this green certification such as, settling and infrastructure, energy and climate change, waste management, water use, transportation and education.
The University has different programs that contribute to the effective way of water use and energy use, as well as the proper handling of recyclable waste, and hazardous waste. UANL also participates with the implementation of awareness campaigns about sustainability among university students.
According to Green Metric, UANL is ranked 45 out of 516 academic institutions in the indicator of Setting and Infrastructure and 67th place in Education. UANL moved up two places at the Overall Ranking 2016.
“Economic, Social and Environmental development, are important factors in sustainability”.
“We have adapted our academic programs in favor of Sustainability, one example is that we recommend to our professors to highlight the importance of sustainability when they talk about gross domestic product”. Said Fernandez Delgadillo.
With a total of 5,950 points, UANL is the most sustainable academic institution in the North of Mexico and the second of the country after the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico.
This award is well received at the same time of United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
“We invite society to join us in this effort and to participate in all the events. So, we could be called a green society in which green culture is always shared”. Said Sergio Salvador.
The UI Greenmetric World University Ranking is an initiative of Universitas Indonesia, which is being launched in 2010. This ranking provides the result of online survey regarding the current condition and policies related to Green Campus and Sustainability in the Universities all over the world.
Over the past five years the UANL has been ranked. From 2012 to 2016 the Maximum Academic Institution has climbed up the ranks 52 places and now is at 77th place.
UANL promotes environmentally friendly transportation
The UANL through the Vice Presidency of Research, Innovation, and Sustainability implements a new project of sustainable transportation.
One of the ideas is to create new pedestrian areas along the campuses.
“This is about encouraging student to walk or bike to school and let the cars outside the campus”.
“It would be great to reduce the traffic in Pedro de Alba and Los Rectores avenues (…) we aim to create more green areas with benches for resting, said Sergio Fernandez Delgadillo.
The project began 2 years ago in collaboration with the School of Civil Engineering, and the School of Biology.
- In the last six years, the UANL student population increased by just over 45%, however, the energy consumption had not changes.
- The Sustainable use of water has resulted in significant outcomes, per capita consumption was reduced, and for 2011 the water consumption was of 13.5 m3 and in 2015 was of 9.5 m3.
- Throught the UANL Waste Separation and Recycling Program, from February 2013 to June 2016, have been recicled more than 204 tonnes of materials as plastic, aluminium, paper and carton.
- The Maximum Academic Institution has 74 students associations which implement actions and projects linked with Sustainable development.
- Actually, The UANL protects an area superior to 26 millions of m2, occupided with original vegetation and where is stored more than 19 thousand tonnes of carbon, obtained 366 millons 354 thousand kg of CO2, equivalent in favor.
- Since 2008, college colaborate with preservation of Lacandona Jungle, one of the most important ecological areas in Mexico and Mesoamerica.
By: Blanca Medina Viezca
Date: February 3, 2017.
Photo: Jose Luis Macias Nicanor