Background

 

UANL —acronym for Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon— initially received the name of Universidad de Nuevo Leon and was composed of the Schools of Law and Social Sciences, Medicine, Engineering, Chemistry and Pharmacy, as well as the Normal School, 'Alvaro Obregon' Industrial and Technical High School, 'Pablo Livas' Industrial School for Women’s Labor and the School of Nursing and Obstetrics.

The following are some of the most important facts in the development of UANL:

The University began construction in 1957, after President Miguel Aleman Valdes issued a decree granting 334 hectares for its development. One hundred hectares were annexed later. 

During the '60s, two events took place that were of utmost importance to finally configure the architecture of the campus: the commencement of the Central Administration Offices activities in 1961 —with former UANL President Raul Rangel Frias as the state governor; the inauguration of the University Stadium in 1967, thanks to the support brought by the UANL board.

In 1971, the fourth Organic Law was promulgated, through which the University obtained its autonomy and current official name: Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon.

In 1980, the 'Capilla Alfonsina' library was opened. Today, it houses part of the heritage of the intellectual and prolific writer Alfonso Reyes, better known as the 'Regiomontano Universal' (Universal citizen from Monterrey).

In 1982, the Mederos campus was officially inaugurated, although it had started its activities a few years before. Nowadays, it is composed of different undergraduate schools, among which stand out the Schools of Political Sciences and Public Administration, Visual Arts, Performing Arts and Communication Sciences. During the following decade, in 1994, the 'Raul Rangel Frias' University Library was opened and was initially known as 'Magna' Library. 

These are some facts that give an idea of how, through the years, the Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon has grown and has successfully turned into a well-known local, national and international academic institution.